Solar panel installations are becoming quite popular all over the United States—and in fact, around the world, too. They’re a great way for homeowners to help offset energy costs, especially heating and cooling.
With that, backyard space is often limited, and few want to give up that space to place panels, especially if it would mean cutting down shade trees to make room for solar panel installations. The rooftop has become the natural spot to install solar panels, not only because it’s a convenient place to do so, but also because the roof’s height generally places it above trees and other obstructions, ensuring the maximum amount of sun exposure possible.
So, with so many solar panels going off rooftops these days, you’re probably wondering what the right underlayment is for this type of job. Is Epilay’s Plystik Plus peel-and-stick underlayment a good fit?
It is—and we’ll show you why!
What Your Roof Needs Prior to Installing Solar Panels
Before installing solar panels on a rooftop, there are two big considerations that you’ll need to make. The first is creating a solid base for the panels to sit on, and the second is making sure that you can waterproof around the extra fastener holes where you’ll be attaching the panels.
Epilay’s Plystik Plus is a great choice to satisfy both of these concerns. This underlayment can be used under any type of roofing material—including asphalt shingles and metal roofs, which are the two most common types of primary roofing materials to place beneath solar panels. With that, it’s a tough, durable material with a 48-mil thickness. It’s not going to shrink or flex with time, which means that the fasteners and brackets holding the solar panels in place will stay put and keep the panels secure.
Plystik Plus, because it is a self-sealing peel-and-stick product, is also the perfect choice for waterproofing a solar installation. The fact is, you’ll need to drill through the primary roofing material and the underlayment to attach the brackets and supports that hold the solar panels in place—and without a peel-and-stick product, you’ll need to make sure that you use weatherproof fasteners to prevent moisture from seeping in around those fasteners. With Plystik, there are no worries. The underlayment’s adhesive will seal around the fasteners to keep moisture out.
Other Reasons to Choose Plystik Plus for Solar Panel Installations
Enhanced waterproofing and compatibility with solar panel systems are two good reasons to choose Plystik—but there are others.
- It delivers easy peel-and-stick application, which helps you save time on the job—especially important since roof installations featuring solar panels take longer and are more complex than traditional roofing jobs.
- Homes with solar panels on the roof tend to have cooler rooftop temperatures since the panels reflect light away from the roof. But, Epilay gives you high-temperature resistance, which is an added layer of protection against heat.
- No homeowner wants to take down functional solar panels to repair or replace a roof—and with the long lifespan that you get from Plystik Plus, you shouldn’t have to. This product can help you extend the roof’s lifespan, which eases concerns about needing to tear out solar panels just to replace a worn or damaged roof.
- Solar power is about sustainability and energy efficiency—and Plystik Plus contributes to that by helping to lower the roof’s temperature, keeping the home cooler despite the heat.
- During installation, Plystik Plus helps you manage moisture and condensation, and it’s also a slip-resistant material. This means it’s much easier to work on the roof while you’re laying the groundwork for future solar panels.
In short, Epilay’s Plystik Plus is an ideal choice as an underlayment on rooftops where you’re planning a solar panel installation. It gives you everything needed to create a strong, waterproof base—plus features that make installation easy, and help maximize the longevity of the roofing system. Contact us today to learn more.